Halifax Minster requested a new audio installation recently which needed to be easy to operate, blend in with the fabric of the building and deliver clear audio throughout the reverberant acoustics. Having used Fohhn on previous successful cathedral installations this was the obvious choice of loudspeaker for Wigwam Acoustics Ltd., the company responsible for the installation. Due to the size and shape of the Minster a total of 27 loudspeakers were needed in both 100 and 50’s. The AL-50 and AL-100 were chosen due to their accurate dispersion and aesthetics. All loudspeakers and cabling were painted to a stone matched RAL colour code so that they blended in well with the buildings fabric. On the first weekend a large opening service was held with a worship group and multiple guest speakers. This demonstrated the versatility of the system and each reading could be heard from the front to rear of the Minster.
The Halifax Minster, formerly a Parish Church until 23 November 2009, was completed by about 1438. It comprises a nave, chancel and full-length aisles, and is thought to be the third church on this site, but it includes stonework from earlier periods. There are a few carved chevron stones, which date from before 1150, and several 12th century tomb-covers in the porch. Windows of the Early English style in the north wall are replacements of originals dating from the 14th century. A portion of this north wall is much earlier, and may have originally been part of the Norman church; it has sometimes been claimed this was the south wall of an older church. After the completion of the present nave and chancel, several additions were made. The tower was erected between 1449 and 1482; and the Rokeby and Holdsworth Chapels – originally chantry chapels – were completed by about 1535.
We congratulate Wigwam Acoustics Ltd. and Systems Workshop on this successful installation!